Our first Writer on the Bloc, will be novelist and lecturer, Yvonne Battle Felton, who will begin a three-week residency on Monday 22ndJune.
Yvonne Battle-Felton’s debut novel, Remembered, won a Northern Writers’ Award in 2017. It was published in 2019 by Dialogue Books and was longlisted for the Women’s Prize for Fiction 2019 and shortlisted for the Jhalak Prize 2020. Yvonne also writes fiction for children. Yvonne, formerly of the University of Lancaster, is a Lecturer in Creative Writing and Creative Industries at Sheffield Hallam University and is a co-founder and Director of North West Literary Arts. Yvonne will be hosting:
• My Story: an in Conversation event on Tuesday 23rd June. You can watch the event here
• Workshops: go to this page for more information
• Yvonne will also be hosting an Enterprise Hub event on 2nd July, 6pm. Click here for more information and book
• Write Here Write Now: Yvonne will be hosting some Write Here Write Now sessions on our Facebook page. There will also be a Workshare on 6th July, book here. As part of her Writer on the Bloc residency, Yvonne will be hosting an informal Workshare, as an opportunity for you to bring your work to the group to share, to see how other writers have responded to the prompts and to gain any feedback from the group on how you can develop your work.
• One on One sessions – Thurs 2nd July, Fri 3rd July, Weds 8th July - go to this page for more information
• Bloc Social – an opportunity for the community to have a conversation around a question Yvonne poses on Monday 6th July. Click here for more information
Celebration event with Yvonne Battle-Felton
Yvonne Battle-Felton's closing celebration event will take place on Friday 10th July, 4pm. This closing Celebration event is a moment to reflect on the Writer On The Bloc residency, what the artists have learned, what the community and audience have developed or learned and what WoW staff have noticed and seen throughout the community-focused creative residency.
You’ll hear from the writer’s Creative Response to the residency, an opportunity for them to put into words their thoughts on the experience, a reflection on what they’ve talked about with our community and summing up how they’ve worked with the community to develop their writing.
You’ll also hear exciting new voices who have had their work looked over by Yvonne through the One-on-One’s, who will share the work they developed through the residency. You can book onto the event here
A note from our Writer on the Bloc -
I have always wanted to be a writer in residence. In my imagination I pictured a cozy room surrounded by books, paintings, and stories. I imagined the hours dedicated to writing, the space to fill with stories, the conversations with emerging writers: the words forming community.
I did not imagine Covid-19, isolation, the multiplication of distance, the divisions. I imagined I would be writing historical fiction. Instead, I’m living history as witness to and advocate of the Black Lives Matter movement. It’s like a storm within a storm. I don’t know where the centre is but I know I need to write, right now.
I am thrilled to participate in the Writers’ Bloc and to be the first on the Bloc fills me with joy. I’m looking forward to what I might create; how I might use this time and engage with writers wherever in the world they are. I’m imagining us creating and writing stories and places, and filling this digital space with words. Right now, we need words, we need stories, we need community. Thanks to the Writers’ Bloc, I have an opportunity to engage, develop, create, and to write, right here and right now.
Click here to go back to the main Writer's Bloc Menu